School History

St Andrew's School

School History

St. Andrew’s School was founded in 1951 and ten years later, under the ownership of Commander Henry Starkie, moved to its present site on Watts Avenue, close to the centre of Rochester.

In 1999, the school changed its ownership and now belongs to Education Development Trust, a leading independent provider of education and training services.

The school has flourished and has held dear its values while society may have changed around it. 

The reasons for founding the school were simple: to offer an affordable education with the emphasis on the "three R’s”, reading, writing and arithmetic, with an emphasis on traditional values such as courtesy, good manners and respect for one another.

As an educational charity, Education Development Trust is focused on improving education for the common good.

In 2002, Education Development Trust acquired its own Pre-School situated some 200 metres away from the main school, on St. Margaret’s Street, where children follow the Foundation Stage prior to joining the main school. Priority for entry into the main school is given to children who attend St. Andrew’s Pre-School.